Turmoil in the Telecom Industry
You have probably read about the labor unrest in the telecom industry, especially at AT&T and Verizon, the two largest carriers.
But you may not know that the industry is in the midst of consolidation:
- Century Link acquired Level(3)
- Fairpoint was purchased by Consolidated Communications
- Verizon sold some of its territories to Frontier and Fairpoint
- Windstream acquired Earthlink and Broadview Networks and a number of carriers in rural markets around US
- XO was acquired by Verizon.
Consolidations have led to significant workforce reductions, which have in turn resulted in service interruptions and degraded service quality. This is an industry-wide problem and its resolution depends on how long it takes for consolidation-related changes to be worked through.
One of the ways our customers experience these changes is new circuit installation. What used to take weeks now takes months.
We regularly escalate, most often with no effect because systems at the carriers are overstressed and even broken and the people who knew what to do have been terminated.
We appreciate the impact this situation has on our customers and of course wish the situation were otherwise. In the meantime, we will continue to search for ways around it.
We hope you understand that we are doing all we are able to do and very much appreciate your patience.